LOADED HUMMUS RECIPE – YEAH you read that right. GUYS I’m already so stoked about my 2020 recipes. I’m finally realizing that healthy doesn’t have to mean scant and cold, it can be warm and hearty. That’s exactly what I’m going for with this loaded hummus recipe. Recently I’ve been super into Mediterranean food, like my taste buds are changing or something. One constant spice in Mediterranean and most cuisines, though, is cumin and I am NOT a fan. I can tolerate it in the background, I know it makes for a good flavor foundation but if it tastes too much like it, I’m out.
When you buy hummus in the grocery store, 98% of them are full of cumin and that’s all I can taste. I found a brand recently that doesn’t have it Ithaca Hummus and i’m obsessed with them. However, I couldn’t justify using a whole container for our dinner, SO here we are. I made my own hummus and you can TOO.
HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN HUMMUS RECIPE
- Buy canned chickpeas – ain’t nobody got time for dried chickpeas. However, if you do find yourself some extra time, try to get as many of the canned chickpeas peeled as you can. This makes for a MUCH smoother consistency.
- Then all I added was lemon juice, garlic, salt and olive oil.
There isn’t any tahini in this hummus recipe, I wanted it to be easy, accessible and delicious for everyone.
HOW TO MAKE THE SEASONED GROUND BEEF
- I always make sure the beef I’m eating is quality – which means grass-fed and finished and about 85% beef 15% fat. Get some onions going in a saute pan.
- Add in the ground beef and throw the seasonings on before you break it all up, that way everything is getting squished in there.
If hummus isn’t your style, try these plantain burgers!
Loaded Hummus with Seasoned Ground Beef
- 2 cans chickpeas drained & peeled if you have time
- 2 lemons juiced
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
Seasoned Ground Beef
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tsp hot paprika
- 2 shallots
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large seedless cucumber diced
- 2 roma tomatoes diced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- If you're peeling the chickpeas, do this first. If not, add the chickpeas to a food processor along with lemon, garlic, and salt. Put the top on and stream in the olive oil as the food processor is going. Taste and re-season as needed.
- In a frying pan on medium high heat add olive oil and shallots. Cook until shallots are translucent (about 3 minutes)
- Add minced garlic and stir continuously for 1 minute. *garlic burns very easily*
- Add ground beef, hot paprika, oregano and salt. Break up the ground beef until it's in small pieces. Let cook until crispy about 10-15 minutes.
- Toss all of the ingredients in a bowl and set aside
- Add the hummus to a bowl. Option here to add some olive oil and hot paprika. Once the beef has slightly cooled add it to the top of the hummus followed by the Israeli salad. Serve with pita and veggies.
SHOP THE RECIPE