Last updated on August 5th, 2020 at 12:41 pm
I’ve always been a sweets person. Sometimes I even want dessert after breakfast! Which is why it’s so important to me to be feeding myself quality ingredients. Snickerdoodles are such an easy holiday cookie and usually surrounded with fond memories. This healthy snickerdoodle cookie recipe is sure to please your belly and your family/friends!
What is a snickerdoodle?
Basically a snickerdoodle is just a dressed up sugar cookie. You roll the dough in cinnamon sugar so the outsides are crispy and sweet. In this recipe I use coconut sugar because it’s not refined.
How to Make a Healthy Snickerdoodle Cookie
How to Make a Snickerdoodle
- Cream Fat and Sugar
As always, with any cookie, you want to cream the fat and sugar together first. This secures that the batter will be smooth and not gritty.
- Combine until Dough Forms
- Roll in Cinnamon Sugar
The next part is super critical to making a snickerdoodle a snickerdoodle. Form golf ball size balls of dough and roll them in a cinnamon coconut sugar mixture until they’re completely covered. There’s no need to press down the cookies as they will spread in the oven.
I always jump at any opportunity to make cookies but this one was particularly special. A bunch of other amazing recipe developers and creatives got together for Fresh Direct’s #FD12DaysofCookies. It’s been so fun to see what everyone created! I highly recommend checkig out that hashtag if you’re looking to make something delicious this weekend.
This healthy snickerdoodle cookie recipe creates a thin and chewy vibe, just so you know what you’re in for. Let me know what you think! You can find me on Instagram @pricklyfresh . HOT TIP: Dip them in your coffee or hot chocolate for the perfect after dinner treat. It doesn’t only have to be during the holidays either!
If you’re looking for more cookie recipes, check out this chocolate crinkle cookie!
Healthy Snickerdoodle Cookie Recipe
- 1/2 cup pasture-raised butter softened
- 1 + 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tbs cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose almond flour
- 2 tbs gluten free flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ baking soda
- teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a small bowl mix together softened butter and 1 cup coconut sugar until combined and lightened in color. Add egg & vanilla.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine
- Using a tablespoon roll dough balls and set aside
- In a small bowl, combine cinnamon and remaining coconut sugar. Roll each cookie dough ball in the mixture and place on a baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake 10 minutes or until edges are golden