Holiday cookie baking just might be my favorite. Well, baking in general is really fun for me because I’m such a huge sweets person and I love experimenting with flavors and such. I recently learned how to make butterscotch thanks to Adriana from A Cozy Kitchen. I also learned that the only difference between butterscotch and caramel is that butterscotch is made with brown sugar and caramel is made with white sugar – MIND. BLOWN. I know. It’s insanely easy to make and LEGIT tastes like butterscotch candies you guys. I couldn’t even deal.
ANYWAY – this blog post really wasn’t to rant about butterscotch,but to tell you that I added it into a BOMB A** chocolate chunk cookie recipe that is FULL of gluten. Let me just clarify something really quickly. I try to live a clean, healthy lifestyle that works for me, my body, my headaches and my hormones. Most of the time that does NOT include gluten, dairy or processed foods. HOWEVER – the holidays, like I was saying before are one of my favorite times of the year to be in the kitchen with my family and friends. It’s a time to be HAPPY and do all the things that will fulfill that feeling for you. I always tend to gravitate toward baked goods and sometimes I just want the real stuff! I don’t skimp during the holidays. It only comes around once a year and making baked goods with gluten and sugar and real ingredients makes me HAPPY. It’s OKAY to eat things you love, guys. I’m not saying to binge eat but for some people (like me) I look forward to the holidays number 1 because of family time but number 2 because of the food I get to plan around it! LIVE YOUR LIFE.
I’ve collaborated on this #virtualcookieparty2018 with so many other amazing bloggers! Make sure you checkout that hashtag on Instagram but I’ve also listed them below!
Love & A Messy Kitchen,
Gingerbread Chocolate Chunk Cookies with Salted Butterscotch
- 1/2 cup or 1 stick Unsalted Butter melted
- 1 cup Coconut Sugar
- 8 oz Dark Chocolate Bar cut into chunks
- 2 tbs Molasses
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Fresh Grates Ginger
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tbs Unsalted Butter
- Pinch of Salt
Salted Butterscotch Buttercream
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter softened
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 cup Salted Butterscotch
- 1/4-1/2 cup Milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fit with the paddle attachment add melted butter and sugar, cream until lighter in color then add egg and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add in molasses and vanilla and mix until combined
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until just combined
- Using an ice cream scoop (if you don’t have one scoop two tbs) place the cookies on a greased baking sheet and bake 10-15 minutes or until golden brown on the edges
- Add ingredients to a saucepan on medium heat. Once the butter is melted, stir to combine. Bring to a boil until the color is about 3 shades darker. Pour into a different container and let cool slightly
- Add all ingredients to the bowl of a stand mixer with whisk attachment and beat until light and fluffy. Add more powdered sugar or milk as needed.
- Sandwich cookies together and enjoy!
Ma’amoul Cookies by Cosette’s Kitchen
White Chocolate Cherry Macadamia Cookie by Healthy Little Vittles: https://www.healthylittlevittles.com/white-chocolate-cherry-macadamia-cookies/
Gingerbread Coconut Llama Cookies by Baking The Goods: http://bakingthegoods.com/2018/01/25/gingerbread-coconut-llama-cookies/
Sans Rival Macaron by Rezel Kealoha:
Gingerbread Cardamom Cookies by Sift & Simmer
Chocolate Ginger Cookies https://www.thehomecookskitchen.com/chocolate-ginger-cookies
Looking for more sweets? Try these Chocolate Peppermint Pot de Creme