Thumbprint cookies, a classic right? I don’t think you can ever pass this one up. It’s so simple yet still one of my favorites, maybe that’s why? There are a TON of easy thumbprint cookie recipes out there, mostly because you can fill them with whatever you want. It’s basically a blank canvas, let’s GET IT Picasso!
Okay okay so maybe I stayed on the straight and narrow and kept it classic with raspberry, but like you could totally do nutella, or apricot jam, or make them savory and do bacon jam. The possibilities are endless. I’m here to give you the canvas – the easy thumbprint cookie recipe and let you fly!
I switched up the classic recipe a little bit to make it lean toward the healthier side. It’s gluten & refined sugar free! The only dairy is pasture-raised butter. If you need a completely gluten and dairy free recipe, check out these chocolate crinkle cookies!
WHAT IS A THUMBPRINT COOKIE?
A thumbprint cookie is a shortbread-like medium soft cookie with much like it’s name has your thumbprint in the middle and is filled with some sort of jam or chocolate.
HOW TO MAKE AN EASY THUMBPRINT COOKIE
- Cream together pasture-raised butter and coconut sugar. This step is crucial for a smooth, perfectly textured cookie!
- Add vanilla then flour & salt and mix until it’s combined. The mixture might be a little crumbly, continue to mix or get your *clean* hands in there!
- Roll them into balls. You want about a tablespoon and a half of dough. I really like using an ice cream scoop because then I can make them all the same. Using your thumb, slightly press down on the center of each dough ball and fill with jam of choice! BAKE.
HOW TO STORE THUMBPRINT COOKIES
I personally enjoy keeping all cookies in the fridge because I like them better cold. If you’re not that way, I would leave these at room temp, air-tight for 3-4 days and then put them in the fridge so they don’t get moldy!
Melt-in-Your-Mouth Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies
- 4 oz Grass-Fed Butter, cold and cubed I like Kerrygold
- 2 cups Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- ¼ c Coconut Sugar
- ½ tsp Almond extract
- ¼ cup Raspberry jam
- Combine the butter, gluten free all-purpose flour, salt, coconut sugar, and almond extract with a food processor until a dough forms.
- Using a medium sized ice cream scoop or a heaping tablespoon roll the dough into balls and place on a baking sheet. Using your thumb create a 'thumbprint' in the dough, pushing it down.
- Using a teaspoon, fill each indent with raspberry jam.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes or until edges are slightly browned