Recently I’ve come across that I need warm, nourishing foods to keep me happy and full. It’s almost impossible for me to want to eat a salad everyday or have a smoothie every morning – I’m just not that girl and I think I’m finally coming to terms with that. I can have a smoothie FULL of protein and great things and be starving again in 30 minutes, so I decided after 25 years to listen to my body.
Enter – Cuban Nourish Bowl. Some of the flavors I gravitatetoward aside from Asian (lolz) are latin. I love plantains, rice and beans andcitrus. Might be because I grew up in South FL where there’s empanadas andcroquettas on every corner, or maybe it’s because Kev is Venezuelan! Regardlessof where my love for the amazing food came from – I wanted to share it with YOU.
Believe it or not this bowl is gluten and dairy free. It’s exploding with flavors, textures and is sure to keep you full and HAPPY. There is everything you need in this bowl: quinoa (which is a complete protein and super grain), greens, protein from the chicken, legumes, a little bit of fruit in the salsa, and a little bit of starch (which isn’t that great for you, but makes us happy) in the crispy plantains. I topped it with the Fresh Direct Mango Mint Salsa which is actually life changing. You also have some nourishment coming from the cashews in the dressing, not to mention some protein. All around – I think this is a – dare I say – WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER. You can also make this a winner winner vegetable dinner by adding some more beans because they’re full of protein too Whatever you decided to do, or what you decide to put in your bowl I hope that you’ll take it a little more easy on your eating habits, LISTEN to what you’re body is asking for.
Love & A Messy Kitchen,
Cuban Nourish Bowls with Lemon Cashew Sauce
- 1 can Black Beans Drained half way
- 1 Small Onion
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 packet Sazon this is by Goya
- 1/2 can Water
- 1 large Green Plantain
- 2 tbs Olive Oil
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Dried Oregnao
- 1 Lime
- 1/2 Orange
- 1/2 Lemon
Lemon Cashew Sauce
- 1/3 cup Cashews soaked for 30min-1hr
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Lemon juiced
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 cup Cooked Quinoa
- 4 cups Mixed Greens
- Dice onion and saute in a pot on medium heat, with olive oil until translucent. Add garlic and Sazon and cook one more minute.
- Add in can of half drained beans and then fill the can halfway with water and add that to the pot as well.
- Cover and simmer for as long as you have.
- Preheat oven to 390 degrees F. Cut the plantain into cubes and place on a greased baking sheet, making usre every cube is coated with oil and salt. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Set aside to cool.
- Pat chicken breasts dry and sprinkle each side with salt, cumin, oregano and pepper.
- Cook in a pan on medium high heat with some olive oil until the outside is golden and the inside is 165 degrees F.
- Once chicken is almost done, pour half of citrus mixture on top.
Lemon Cashew Sauce
- Drain cashews that have been soaking and add to a blender (I use a nutribullet) with remaining ingredients along with remaining citrus mixture and blend until smooth.
Also take a look at this epic Gingerbread Chocolate Chunk Sandwich Cookies