Last updated on July 7th, 2020 at 01:48 pmJump to Recipe – Print Recipe
Hi guys! I have to say, having a real fall season has already been so much fun and we’ve only been here for a week. It’s just such a different vibe when you can go outside and feel a chill in the air and admire the trees changing colors. There’s also tons of other things that change – like being able to eat ramen and not walking outside into a sauna has truly been life changing. It has inspired me to make this recipe for you! Butternut Squash Soup with Sweet and Spicy Nuts & Crispy Mushrooms. I asked you guys on Instagram what you would like to see this fall and nearly all of you replied with “SOUP!” so naturally – the first one had to be the most basic of them all – butternut squash. Don’t worry though, I spiced it up and it is far from your average soup. It’s gluten and dairy free, which is even better!
If you don’t live in a place where there are seasons – which is basically only Florida… make this soup anyway and make yourself feel like it’s fall! Butternut squash has to be one of my favorites of the family. I think it’s because of it’s pretty orange color and it’s sweet flavor. It’s versatile and can be transformed into a sweet or savory dish so easily – hello everything Thanksgiving!
I decided to top it with something crunchy because I’m not the biggest soup person. If I do eat soup, I like when it has a lot of stuff in it as opposed to a pureed soup like this. The sweet and spicy cashews add such flavor and texture along with the crispy mushrooms. I used shiitakes because those are my favorite but they also have much more of a different flavor than the regular baby bellas.
I hope you’ll try this butternut squash soup, it’s SO EASY to make you guys and has very minimal ingredients.
Love & A Messy Kitchen,
Creamy Butternut Squash Soup with Sweet & Spicy Cashews
- 3 Cups Butternut Squash cut into cubes
- 1 Small Red Onion cut in chunks
- 1 Tbs Avocado Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves Peeled
- 1/4 Cup Chicken Bone Broth
- 3/4 Can Coconut Milk
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1 Tsp Cayenne
Sweet & Spicy Cashews
- 1/2 Cup Raw Cashews
- 1 Tsp Avocado Oil
- 1 Tsp Maple Syrup
- Sprinkle of Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 6 Shiitake Mushrooms
- 1 Tbs Avocado Oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Lay butternut squash, onion, garlic cloves, salt and pepper on a greased baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until fork tender.
- Add cooked butternut squash mixture to a blender along with bone broth, coconut milk, an extra sprinkle of salt and cayenne. Blend until smooth. Voila! You have soup.
SWEET & SPICY CASHEWS
- In a small bowl combine all ingredients and mix until cashews are fully coated. Transfer to a greased baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes, stir and bake another 5 until toasted. Let cool.
- Dice up the mushrooms into 1/2 inch pieces. Add avocado oil to a pan on medium high heat. Once the oil is hot add in mushroom pieces, sprinkle with salt and cook until golden brown. Drain on paper towel.
Still hungry? Try this Pumpkin Alfredo