Rice Krispie treats were part of everyone’s childhood, I’m pretty sure. Unless you’re allergic to something in them of course. They’re gooey, crispy and full of sugar just how we like it as children. As you got older, maybe you realized this wasn’t the best ‘snack’ and maybe you should eat a more adult snack. I wanted to bridge the gap between childhood and adulthood with these salted caramel popcorn rice krispie treats. AKA The best rice krispie treats ever. WOW that’s a mouthful. There’s a restaurant in NYC that has a caramel popcorn ice cream dessert, so this is definitely inspired by that. There are so many rice krispie treat variations you can do – it doesn’t even have to be rice krispies!
Okay, I don’t think I’ve ever told you this before but popcorn is one of my favorite things to eat! It’s crunchy and light and salty and I just love it so much. SO, here’s what you’re going to do. You’re going to buy popcorn kernels (or I guess you could buy the microwave bags) and make your popcorn. We’re going to melt some butter (if it’s not already included) over it and add a great big pinch of salt! Then we’re going to lay it out on a sheet tray and let it cool/dry a little bit. We want it to stay crunchy once it’s married to the treat, ya know?
Aka the butterscotch I sneak into every dessert I make now. So so so easy guys. Throw some brown sugar, butter and salt in a pot and boil it for like 5 minutes. That’s it. I have to say, I did try this with regular sugar and fully intended for it to be a ‘true’ caramel but it’s a lot more temperamental and kept crystalizing on me. I feel like going the brown sugar route is fool proof, works every time and is absolutely phenomenal tasting. Once the caramel/butterscotch whatever you want to call it, is finished, just pour it into a glass container and set it aside so it can cool a little bit before we use it!
This part could not be easier but it is rather messy, or can be at least. I know you guys can do it though, I have faith. Throw that stick of butter and your whole bag of marshmallows (I kept out like a handful to mix into the rice krispies) into the pot and let it melt. That’s really it..You can stir it occasionally to make sure every little marshmallow baby is getting enough heat. I suggest using a rubber spatula. There’s enough butter in here that I didn’t have too hard of a time with the marshmallow sticking to it. Alternatively, you can spray the rubber spatula with cooking spray or rub it down with some oil before you use it.
LET’S GET MARRIED
Ok so all of our components are ready and waiting to get married! First things first, you’re going to have your Rice Krispies ready to go in a LARGE bowl. You want it to be large because once you start mixing this, things will be flying everywhere. You’re going to mix a handful or a cup of popcorn into the rice krispies. Now, we’re going to pour our marshmallow/butter mixture on top of the rice krispies and mix WELL. You want to work quickly here because the marshmallow will harden rather quickly. If you need to get in there with your hands, do what you gotta do! Once it’s all well mixed we’re going to press the mix into an 8×8 baking dish lined with parchment. *If you don’t have parchment, I’ve used plastic wrap that I’ve greased with oil, it got the job done. Whichever you’re using, make sure the sides stick out of the pan so they can act as handles. I do not recommend using foil, they stick no matter what you do. Once you have them pressed in there, we’re going to add our remaining popcorn, press it in a little bit. Then drizzle all of that delicious caramel on top. Set it in the fridge (covered) for about two hours. If you’re like me – take a bite before they go in the pan to hold you over. These are seriously the best rice krispie treats you will ever taste.
Did you see yesterday’s Banana’s Foster Lava Cakes?!
Caramel Popcorn Rice Krispie Treats
Rice Krispie Treats
- 5 Cups Rice Krispies
- 1 Bag Mini Marshmallows
- 1 Stick Butter
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbs Butter
- Pinch Salt
- 2 Tbs Heavy Cream
- 2 Tbs Oil
- 3 Tbs Corn Kernels
- 2 Tbs Butter melted
- Add all ingredients EXCEPT heavy cream into a sauce pan on medium heat. Once the mixture is bubbling let it go for about 5 minutes or until slightly darker in color.
- Remove from heat and whisk in heavy cream. If you need to, add the pot back on the heat and continue to whisk until smooth. Pour into a glass jar and set aside.
- Add oil and 1 kernel into a medium pot on medium heat. Once you hear the kernel pop, remove it and add in the rest of your kernels and cover. Once the popping begins to slow down, that’s when you should turn off the heat.
- Pour melted butter and pinch of salt on the popcorn, spread on a baking sheet and set aside.
- Add the rice krispies to a large bowl and set aside.
- Set aside 1/4-1/2 cup of marshmallow and pour the rest in a medium sauce pan with butter. Stir occasionally until completely melted.
- Add a handful or 1/2 cup of popcorn to the dry rice krispies.
- Pour marshmallow mixture over rice krispies and mix well until fully combined using a rubber spatula. Press into an 8×8 baking dish.
- Add remaining popcorn to the top of the rice krispie mixture and drizzle caramel over top. Cover and place in the fridge for 1-2 hours.