FINALLY a savory breakfast I actually like. Breakfast Tostadas! We all know about my breakfast struggles so I will not harp on it AGAIN. Trying to some up with something that was healthy-ish but also tasted good wasn’t very easy until I just let go of all of the stereotypes of what breakfast ‘should’ be. Why do I need to follow any sort of protocol? If I don’t like it, I’m not going to make it just because of the time of day it is. I made these breakfast tostadas WITHOUT throwing an egg on top *eyeroll*. I’m not a huge egg person so I’m always trying to think of things for breakfast without them. I feel like I’m the out-cast in the world because of it haha Everyone is always drooling over that runny egg and I’m in the corner cringing. YES, I am guilty of cutting into them on the gram – I don’t completely hate eggs but they’re not usually my first or even second choice. We’ll just leave it at that.
So picture this – crispy corn tortilla, tasty sausage bits, avocado and a little spice. It’s like your favorite taco dressed up for breakfast. I’m really into textures, especially crispy things. I can’t just eat mushy foods, I gotta have it all. Crispy, soft, creamy – the whole thing. This tostada has it all, my friends.
One of the tools I actually use pretty often in the kitchen is something my mom got me a couple years ago. It’s this meat grinder thing and it seriously makes breaking up ground meat in the pan SO much easier! It breaks it up pretty finely, instead of having huge chunks, it also doubles as an arm workout.
Anyway – I really love these tostadas and so does Kev. We’ve been making them on the weekends for breakfast! I know – we’ve switched up our pancake routine!
If you make these or anything else from PF tag me!
If you’re looking for more breakfast, check out this chocolate chunk orange bread!
Some of the links in this post contain affiliate links which means, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission should you click through and purchase.
Breakfast Tostadas with Refried Beans and Crispy Sausage
- 7 Corn Tortillas
- 1 lb Ground Italian Sausage or Chorizo
- 1 Can Refried Black Beans
- 3 Avocados
- 1 Lime
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 Tbs Avocado Oil
- In a small suace pan on medium heat add refried beans, juice of 1 lime, garlic powder and pinch of salt. We’re just trying to re-heat and flavor these up. Stir to combine and heat until warmed through.
- In a frying pan on medium high heat add avocado oil. Once the oil crackles when a little bit of water is sprinkled on it, it’s ready! Add one of your tortillas and cook until brown spots appear (about 3 minutes per side.)
- Repeat with remaining tortillas. Once they come out of the oil, sprinkle with a little bit of salt.
- In the same pan, add in sausage, breaking it up with a wooden spoon or my favorite meat grinder tool! Cook until bits are browned and cooked through.
- Spread about 1 tbs of refried beans on each tostada, add 2 tbs or so of the sausage, and top with sliced avocado.Optional: squeeze of lime, sea salt and sriracha