Who doesn’t love a good lava cake? It’s so crazy how popular the lava cake recipe is, and also how EASY it is to make. Did you know that it’s the most popular dessert on Valentine’s Day? Isn’t that crazy! I feel like people are always so intimidated by the lava cake. I will say you have to have the proper cook time, because otherwise you just have…cake but you got this! I don’t want you to be mad – but I’ve put a little spin on the traditional lava cake recipe…okay a big spin. Okay okay I basically changed the whole thing, BUT IT’S SO GOOD! Bananas Foster Lava Cake – yes yes yes! I thought it would be fun and a lot different than the normal chocolate. I do love that one also.
True story: Christin and I used to go to Chili’s in high school, get lava cake to go and eat it in the car in the parking lot! Like why couldn’t we just go inside though? We could not get enough of that thing, it came with a huge scoop of vanilla ice cream with the chocolate shell…ugh the chocolate shell. I love that stuff. Good Times. Anyway – getting off track per usual. How about these Bananas Foster Lava Cakes you guys?! Are you ready! Let’s get into it.
THE CAKE RECIPE
This lava cake recipe is basically just showing you my endless love for butterscotch ever since I learned how to make it. It’s SO easy and I decided it would be a good option for the flavor of this lava cake, and I was right! Ha. So, you’re going to make a traditional cake batter, we just swapped the granulated sugar for brown sugar. THEN, you’re going to make that bomb a$$ butterscotch flawlessly and pour that baby into your cake batter. Mix it UP. It’s adding the most buttery caramelized form of sugar into the center of your lava cake so it can flow right into your mouth.
As I mentioned above, the butterscotch filling is the money maker here. I also made sure my bananas were still a little bit on the green side because that’s the way I like them best. I can’t do a mushy banana, ya know? I also had to add a little bit of salt in there because what even is caramel without salt in 2019?!
So the cook time for these babies is pretty precise because just one minute over and you will not have any lava. This particular lava cake recipe is really easy to make guys, and it doesn’t make an absurd amount. It makes 4, so you can easily make this for a nice dinner with your friend or spouse and not worry about having crazy leftovers.
I challenge you to make this the next time you’re making dinner for someone, or even if you just have a night to yourself. I want you to see how easy it is so you can have another trick up your sleeve when you have guests over for dinner.
Bananas Foster Lava Cake
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 3 Egg Yolks
- ½ Cup Flour
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- Pinch Salt
- ½ Banana
- 6 Tbs Melted Butter
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbs Butter
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- 2 Tbs Heavy Cream
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 1/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Add all ingredients EXCEPT for heavy cream to a small sauce pan on medium heat. Once the mixture becomes a couple shades darker (about 5 minutes) remove from heat and add heavy cream. Whisk until smooth, putting pot back on heat if necessary. Pour into alternate container and cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl or bowl of a stand mixer add brown sugar, salt and melted butter. With the mixer on low speed, add one egg at a time, making sure it’s incorporated before adding the next one.
- Add Vanilla, mix until combined and then add flour and mix until just combined.
- Add in butterscotch and mix until combined.
- Evenly distribute the cake batter among four greased ramekins. Add banana pieces to the center of each and cover with batter.
- Bake 12-14 minutes or until outside is set but center is jiggly.
- Mix all ingredients with whisk or in mixer with whisk attachment until light and fluffy!