Grab your aprons and a drink because it’s DATE NIGHT – IN! I am so excited about this post because I somehow convinced my boyfriend to get in the kitchen with me – nothing short of a miracle people! If your boyfriend, husband or fiancé isn’t super well versed in kitchen technique – do not fret!
Gnocchi is something fun to do as a couple and perfect for a date night because you get to laugh at how horribly you’re rolling them into “gnocchi shape.” No one needs to be a pro here, because no matter the shape or what they look like, they’ll come out delicious. I chose to do sweet potato, One because I love them and two because I had an entire bag of them – but you can totally adapt this recipe using regular white potatoes if you so desire. Tip while rolling them out though – make sure you have tons of flour on your board. You also do not want to start stacking them on top of each other because they’ll stick and you’ll have one giant blob of sweet potato (trust me, I know from experience).
I decided to make my own concoction of onion, mushrooms, butter, garlic and wine to have as our “sauce” but this recipe is so flexible.
You could put almost anything on these gnocchi and they would be delicious. You could do a traditional pasta sauce, simple butter and some nice shaved Parmesan, or even just toast up the gnocchi and throw some salt on them. I hope this inspires you to get in the kitchen and most of all, spend some quality time with your family, friends or significant others! There’s nothing like creating something together being able to enjoy the fruits of your labor! Please feel free to ask any questions you have in the comments below!
- About 7 Small Sweet Potatoes - Peeled and Boiled Soft
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 C Sliced Green Onion (about two stalks)
- 1/2 C Grated Parmesan Cheese + Some for Garnish
- 1 TBS Salt
- 1/2 C All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 C Parsley (for Garnish)
- 1 C Baby Bella Mushrooms (sliced)
- 1/4 C Diced White Onion
- 1 TBS Garlic, Chopped
- 3 TBS Butter
- Jute of 1 Lemon
- 1/4 C White Wine
- Pinch of Salt
- Peel and boil the sweet potatoes until fork tender
- Mash potatoes and set in a bowl
- Combine egg, parmesan, salt, flour and green onion into mashed potatoes
- Mix until well combined (you do not want to over mix and make it gummy)
- Scoop out about 1/2 C onto a well-floured surface and roll into a log about 1 inch thick
- Cut into bite sized pieces, also about 1-inch
- If you don't have a gnocchi roller you can use the back of a fork and roll each piece over it to get those ridges
- Once all gnocchi have been cut and rolled, place into boiling water
- When the gnocchi float to the top they are finished
- Melt butter in a skillet on medium heat
- Add onions and cook until translucent (about 5 min)
- Pinch of salt
- Add mushrooms (these will take the longest to cook) about 10 minutes
- Add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring continuously. Burnt garlic is NO good!
- Once all ingredients have been married together add in the white wine and lemon juice and turn the heat to medium low
- Cook for about another 3 minutes
- Pour over cooked gnocchi and garnish with parsley and parmesan
Checkout more of my recipes HERE!